Game Designer & Scout
Firestoke is a new publisher of indie PC and Console games. We love games that bring people together, can be shared with friends and family, and spark joy!
Our aim is to connect a growing global audience of players with the games they love. We are driven by creative inspiration but informed by data, enabling us to bring players the best indie games from the brightest development talent.
Our team is growing and we need a talented and super enthusiastic Game Designer & Scout who will work with the wider team and report to the Design Director.
This is a very unique design and scouting role at an indie publisher that strives for excellent quality and attention to detail. This is a hybrid role which offers responsibilities and creative opportunities that you are unlikely to find elsewhere. The successful candidate will play a key role in the creative process across multiple game projects (spanning several genres) at various stages of development and moving through parallel production pipelines.
Your duties will include mentoring and collaborating with our development partners to provide invaluable gameplay feedback and creative support, performing rigorous testing of their builds to ensure they are robust and fun, scouting for the next big indie hit game, outreaching to developers at both physical and digital events and much more.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with our partners, from initial outreach to development, launch and post-launch.
- Methodically test game builds and milestone deliveries, generate reports and communicate actionables/issues to our partners and the Firestoke team.
- Frequently liaise with our partners by video call to analyse, critique and improve upon existing features/mechanics to make sure the games are fun and exceptional whilst within the parameters of the budget and production roadmap.
- Mentor and consult our smaller/solo dev teams which lack the design resources or skills required to develop key features for their game(s). As an expert problem-solver and creative thinker, you’ll offer ideas and solutions in a number of gameplay areas including core mechanics, progression systems/meta, playloops, AI balancing, visual direction, narrative and character development, to name a few.
- Support the Design Director with scouting by finding new and innovative games according to brief requirements and Firestoke’s portfolio strategy.
- Play, review and critique game submissions and provide relevant feedback for applicants.
- Actively research new trends, studios, leads and opportunities and present your findings to the Design Director and wider team during internal showcases.
- Maintain our database of scout finds and network contacts.
- A willingness to travel to both domestic and international gaming events, shows and meetups to scout for new titles, assist with business development and represent Firestoke and our developers at such industry events.
Your Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience in professional game design.
- Experience working in a game design position on at least one shipped Console/PC title.
- Ability to demonstrate examples of your documentation/development skills.
- Able to demonstrate an encyclopaedic knowledge of games with a great understanding of what makes a good game and what makes an outstanding one!
- A true gamer with a passion for video games (specifically indie) and a broad taste in gaming genres including Action, Action-Adventure, ARPGs, Life sims, Party, Lite-strategy, Brawler, Roguie-likes/lites etc
- A solid understanding of game design principles with an excellent grasp of what makes a genre-defining game.
- Very organised with great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- A confident, self starter who is able to work independently and able to manage their own schedule while working remotely.
- Proficient with Adobe suite (specifically photoshop).
- Proficient with Gsuite (Docs, Sheets, Slides), MS Suite (Word, Excel etc).
- Familiarity with Notion, Trello, Jira and other Atlassian software.
- Fluent in English (written and oral).
Desirable (but not essential)
- Education in game design/development at degree or college level.
- Experience with mainstream game engines i.e. Unity/Unreal/Gamemaker/Godot.
- Familiar with gaming on PC and Consoles.
- Familiar with premium experiences that feature singler player, co-op, PVE and PVP modes.
- 2D or 3D Artistic ability (modelling, VFX).
- Scripting/coding skills.
We offer a competitive salary, share options, generous holiday allocation, flexible working, monthly hot desk contribution (if required) and a friendly and respectful culture. Most of all, we offer the opportunity to help build a company that brings joy to a global audience.
Firestoke has been founded by a small, dedicated team. We are now looking to attract others who share a passion for our audience and our games. We are a UK company operating on a fully remote basis and are therefore pleased to accept candidates from any location.
Interested? Please email a quick introduction along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct applications only, please. No agencies.
Firestoke Group Ltd
Suite 2, Ground Floor, Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2HS
Company Registered in Scotland #SC689236